Wednesday 21 March 2018

My Place in the World Craft

My Place in the World Craft Activity
As part of our geography unit KS1, DD5 learnt our place in the world. She understood we lived in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and her Grandma and Granddad lived in England, she understood we all lived on Earth and Earth is within our solar system which is a part of many solar systems in this greater universe, which is part of our Creator's grand design and He is above all that which He has created. This was a far cry from when DD was 3 and she firmly believed that the sun and the moon were in the sky and nothing went further then what her eyes saw. 

Now, my DD5 understood all these parts separately but couldn't piece them all together and make sense of a place within a place and how teeny weeny we are on earth let alone the universe. So this activity was fabulous to demonstrate our place in the world. 

This activity needs little instruction and only a few prompts to complete. 

I prepared the varying sized circles for my child, however my DS3 wanted to join in (which is becoming a usual occurance at this age) so he was tasked with sorting and placing the circles in order of smallest to largest. 

Then DD would decide which label corresponded best to the varying circle sizes, then would place the picture to match the label and check the order if it seemed most logical to her.

The circles and labels included;
  1. This is me
  2. My home
  3. My street
  4. My city
  5. My country
  6. My continent
  7. My planet



Once she felt like she got the order right, it was time for her to glue and stick down the picture and label on to the circle.

We held the circles together with a split pin. And we spoke about our place in relation to the world.

I hope you enjoy this craft with your little ones as much as I enjoyed it with mine!!

Subscribe for more crafts, DIYs and freebies.

No comments:

Post a Comment