Monday 30 April 2018

Homeschooling My 5 year old Math

Our Old Classroom 

Math

We had spent the previous year of just concentrating on mastering the math facts and strengthening number sense. So, this year was about learning some new concepts like multiplication, telling time, measurement, division, fractions, subtraction, addition, money and 3D shapes. She is able to add upto 4 digit numbers and carry over, she is comfortable using most methods of addition. She has learnt how to subtract this year upto 2 digit numbers and using the borrowing method, but she prefers to use the number line and work out the difference between the two numbers.
She has learnt how to tell the time quite accurately upto the closest minute, and able to solve time problems but hasn't yet quite mastered the different ways of telling time, such as quarter past, quarter to, or 25 minutes to etc, but she does try and I don't worry about it, I'm happy she can tell me the time when I ask her. We are learning about adding on time for example what time will it be in 1 hours and 15 minutes. This year we had just introduced multiplications and its symbol (( x )) we had previously learnt in the last year counting by 2s, 5s and 10s, so multiplication was the next step and she understood the concept of multiplication quite well. I had taught her multiplications of 2, 5 and 10 as she was already familiar with it, then proceeded to teach her the 3 times tables using the multiplication flowers that you can find here I stuck them on my display wall and within the month she had learnt the 4, 9, and 11 time tables all from the wall displays. She was in the classroom and came into the living room with a cheeky smile saying "mummy I know the 9 times tables" and then she proceeded to tell me, I was a proud mamma and shocked, then she continued to surprise me by saying "and I know the 11 time tables" and she proceeded to tell me that, I was amazed, it took the hard work out for me and it was two less multiplications I had to worry about. She enjoyed using the manipulative's, books, crafts and materials we used for multiplications the most. We have yet to learn our 7 and 8 time tables. Division was naturally taught with multiplication at the same time without any confusion, she was able to understand and answer divisions, we are now onto learning how many reminders. She understands fractions on its own, (meaning not adding two fractions together) and what faction is the same as what. She can closely estimate fractions in real life things and enjoys this topic because of this. It is our first time learning the names of 3D shapes and we have touched on this subject, making 3D shapes together. And lastly for measurement she enjoys this topic too as I allow her to do practical lessons, recently for measurements she does baking, measuring the butter, flour, sugar and other ingredients. I try to encourage her to bake independently, we are at a 70:30 ratio where she will be able to prepare ingredients, read and follow instructions but likes me to be there just in case.


Read more about what materials and resources I used for my 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment