Monday 7 May 2018

Homeschooling My 5 year old English Language Arts

Our Reading Wall and shelf work

English

We spent a term working on improving handwriting skills and learning how to join up then we moved on to English grammar. She has been using mostly workbooks to guide her through and it will be her second year learning English grammar, which she does complete but doesn't particularly enjoy or dislike but wishes it was more fun.
After completing another big workbook, we started on English comprehension, which she loves and enjoys to do. But it made me think, and restructure the way I do English with my DD. She loves to read and I don't have to worry about making reading a part of our timetable, as I like to keep this flexible for her and allow her to read as many or as little as she wants but I know that she reads many, many books a day and this is something I love about her, is her love of reading independently without me having to push her. I found that she also learns best through stories and she is able to tell you back the story in detail, also with story telling you as the educator can derive points of interest and discuss them further and go into as much detail as you want with your child and let them explain what they think about the story and what it means to them. They can get very creative and gives them freedom to say what they think instead of being expected to give the right answer or else you are wrong. So, after discussing with my husband about changing our material for English comprehension, we decided to spend that same 30 minutes to 1 hour of reading about Islam. You can read here for more of an explanation to why we made this change. So far it is going great but I wish there were more Islamic resources that were child friendly or I could at least adapt to her level. We have covered belief in the Angels, which she had chosen and thoroughly enjoyed.

An example of her handwriting
This is my little girls artwork and handwriting a poem about Spring, she still loves rainbows and pretty flowers. We have displayed her work in the classroom.

1 comment: